Parsi New Year or Navroz is also popularly referred as Pateti. Special food and desserts are prepared for a hearty feast on Parsi New Year.
Worldwide, people commemorate the holiday on the first day of the Zoroastrian calendar’s first month. This actually falls on March 21st. In India, on the other hand, the Shahanshahi calendar is followed, which means the New Year celebration happens in the later months of the year.
People from different religious traditions take part in the festivities. However, the Parsi New Year does remain linked to Zoroastrian religion. The holiday actually represents a yearly renewal of everything in the universe. According to folklore, the prophet Zoroaster created the holiday and it still remains an extremely important observance for residents of Maharashtra.
The Parsi New Year, also known as Navroz, is celebrated to mark the beginning of the Iranian calendar. The tradition began some 3000 years ago, and is observed by the Parsi community around the world.
It marks a new beginning and is celebrated with much fervor. People clean and decorate their homes, dress up in traditional attires, and visit fire temples to pray for prosperity and seek forgiveness for their sins.
After meeting and greeting, the festivities continue as people enjoy special foods like moog dal, pulav and sali boti, among a variety of other dishes. Visitors are sprinkled with rose water as they enter a home to welcome them. Often, people also use this auspicious time of year to give to charities or to the poor.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE BEST MESSAGES AND QUOTES THAT YOU CAN SHARE WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO MARK THE OCCASION:
- Like birds, let us leave behind what we don’t need to carry. Grudges sadness pain fear & regrets. Life is beautiful, enjoy it. Happy Navroz!
- Sending my warm wishes for a Happy Parsi New Year!May the day bring you good fortune and success.May God bless you today and forever. Happy Navroz!
- Dedicate this year to humanity and the betterment of the world. Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous Parsi New Year!
- May the glory of King spread all over,May Lord praise us in galore, Let’s pray for happiness and prosperity, May this Parsi New Year give us Happiness.
- Fortunate is the one who has learned to admire, but not to envy. Good Wishes to you and your loved ones for a joyous new year!
- Subah ho yaa shaam ho, Din ho yaa raat ho,Jaane kaise bhi halaat hon.. Hum nahi bhoolenge aapse kehna.. Aaj hai Jamshed Navroz..Dua hai yeh ki ye din aapka khaas ho… Mubaarak Navroz
- May every day of the New Year glow with new cheer and happiness for you and your family. Navroz Mubarak.
- All things bright and beautiful,All things good and true, All things fine and wonderful, All these are wished for you on this day and always. Navroz Mubarak!